August 28th, Eileen had noticed that our baby hadn't moved for about a day or so. She was 35 weeks along and miserable as usual. We called the doctor and they told us to come down to the Hospital to get checked out. So we went to Labor and Delivery and had 4 or 5 different ultrasounds confirming that the baby's heart wasn't beating. This was utterly devastating to us as we had been waiting for 35 weeks to meet our son. So due to overwhelming emotions, we elected to go home that day and come back the next day to start the labor process.
Sunday, August 29th, aka Eileen's birthday... we went into the hospital at 9am and Eileen was started on the oxytocin to help induce labor. To spare the details, Gavin Scott was delivered the next morning, the 30th at 12:11am. He weighed 5 lbs 13 oz and was 20 and 1/2 inches long. This was a happy and a very sad time for us as our son was a stillborn. The hospital was awesome, as we got to spend the next 14 hours with him resting and spending quality time with our son. A professional photographer came in at 2 in the morning and volunteered his time to take some pictures for us (which were free by the way), we got professional molds of his hands and feet (free), and everybody was so nice. We invited the family down at 2 in the morning as well to come say HI to our little guy and take some pictures.
The next afternoon, after only 2 hours of rest, we said our goodbye's and left the hospital. Due to the fact that Gavin was so far along, we had to have a funeral home come pick him up from the hospital and do a graveside service. For my first daughter's birth, I wanted to build her something special, so I built her a toy box. I wanted to do something special for Gavin, so I elected to build him his casket. I had a TON of help from my brothers and dad and the rest of the family really. It turned out beautiful and perfect just like Gavin.
The following Friday, we held a graveside service over at the Meridian Cemetery which was very emotional but wonderful at the same time. I knew that Gavin would be forever protected in a casket that I built him. We had a short service, and then I got to stick the casket down in his grave. I participated anywhere I could along this journey because I wanted to make sure he was taken care of and alright. I guess that's the father in me.
We just want to thank everyone for all the love and support given to us in this hard and trying time. We would never have imagined we would have to ever bury our son. But he is a part of our family forever and we are so grateful for the opportunity to meet him and hold him for the brief time we did. He will NEVER be forgotten.



7 comments:
Scott, I am so sorry to hear about baby Gavin. I am reading this with tears in my eyes. I'm so glad you got to make his casket and make him something special. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
My heart just aches for you guys. What a beautiful little boy! Much loved by his family.
Myers family-
Again we are so sorry for your loss and hope that the Spirit and precious gift of the gospel is a great comfort to you at this difficult and overwhelming time. We love you and keep you in our daily prayers.
Love,
Your cousin Annie, Jeremy and girls.
I am so very sorry for your loss. We will pray for you all. Let us know if you need anything.
I am so sorry! You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
We love you all very much and you have been in our prayers!!! We are so sorry for your loss. I wish I could give you each a big hug, but this will have to do. I love you!!!
Cousin Sheri
Words cannot express the pain and sorrow we feel for you and your family. You will be in our prayers. You can call us anytime.
Post a Comment